While there may be some destinations that are more safe than others, the world is not as scary as some might think. With a positive attitude and general street smarts, there are plenty of places in the world where you can feel totally safe and secure on your own.
Everyone should try traveling solo at some point in their lives. It offers so many extra opportunities for self-discovery, personal growth, and cultural connection. With common sense and level-headed research, there’s no reason why women can’t travel solo to all corners of the world. It can seem intimating, especially as a woman and especially if you haven’t tried it before.
These destinations are safe, welcoming, and, most importantly, cool.
1. England. Easily the best country in the world for a nervous traveler to visit, culture different enough from home to be exciting, but familiar enough to feel comfortable, always more to discover: museums, monuments, and historic buildings, absorbing history.
2. Japan. No need to locked your front door or car, incredible food, insanely efficient transportation system, a culture completely different from the West, a language barrier but most locals are willing to work through the communication barrier with you.
3. Iceland. Reykjavik’s music scene and nightlife, easy meeting locals and fellow travelers, natural beauty, snorkel the Silfra Fissure, hike a glacier, bath at the Blue Lagoon.
4. Scandinavia. Denmark, Norway and Sweden are the #1 and #2 happiest places in the world, architecture, friendly locals that speak some English, Stockholm is clean, beautiful, and safe (it was ranked 4 on the 2015 Safe Cities Index), more undiscovered than many other areas of Europe.
5. New Zealand. Beautiful landscapes, nature and trekking.
6. Thailand. Beaches, street food, inexpensive but also 5-star resorts.
7. Canada. Multiculturalism, landscapes, friendly people
8. Costa Rica. Sandy beaches, rainforests, cloud forests. Nicoya Peninsula or a yoga retreat in Nosara.
9. Ireland. Happiness, beer, football, the countryside
10. Bali. Temples, yoga, relaxing beaches, inexpensive food & accommodation, a great backpacking culture for young people, always someone to hang out with, Balinese culture.
11. Amsterdam. Liberal lifestyle, chilled out vibe, canals to explore, unique culture and nightlife, rent a bike
12. Cruises. Not a specific destination but has an itinerary and secure accommodation. Unpack once and arrive at multiple destinations without having to book flights or accommodation.